Monday, December 30, 2013

SkinnyPizza & Gym Drought Begins

It's been three days since I went to the gym, and two days since exercising. I'm already embarking on a decline after barely hitting the two week mark. This is how I do. 

It's highly unlikely that I'll make it to the gym tomorrow on New Year's Eve and with vacation sadly coming to an end this week, it seems my resolution is doomed before the new year has even begun. 

Maybe I can make it Friday after work?

Today, I amazingly turned down an offer of Crumbs cupcakes - they're not my favorite anyway as I find them too sugary and I'm not keen on buttercream frosting. Why did writing that make me feel like a traitor? I'd still happily eat Crumbs but today, I tried to make up for yesterday's indiscretions and thought I'd try out SkinnyPizza (my sis offered mall to home delivery).

Here's dinner (after I helped myself, I remembered to take a picture):

I really wanted to like SkinnyPizza - they have many things going for them that I really appreciate, such as thin crust made with no preservatives or additives, organic, low calorie cheese and all natural toppings that are free of hormones and antibiotics. The business is environmentally conscious and its website conveys a genuinely progressive and healthy attitude. You have the freedom to construct your pizza however you'd like, and there are a lot of options to mess around with.

Here's the rub - it could be attributed to the delay between baking and eating, and the transport in the bitter cold, but this was some weak pizza. Also, a 100% whole wheat crust was chosen and maybe the standard crust would not have been so rubbery and soggy. I'm guessing in-store consumption would lend itself to a crispier experience. See, how many excuses I'm making- I really wanted to like this pizza! 

The sauce, veggie toppings and cheese were very nice - if I didn't know the cheese was lower calorie using part-skim milk, I wouldn't have guessed. However, the chicken topping was the most flavorless, tough, destined to be rejected pieces of chicken ever grilled into existence.

While I'm not likely to order SkinnyPizza again, I think this pizza is salvageable and could possibly be very good given these conditions - eat in the store (the take-out box is an innovative circular box that can be popped into the oven at home, but I was too lazy and hungry to wait to use it); don't order the whole wheat crust unless you know and are ok with what you're getting instead of good pizza - oops; SkinnyPeeps marinate or tenderize your chicken! The Buffalo Chicken topping adds flavor but the meat is still tough. Pending this, I'd go with other toppings.

At least eating this pizza helped me to stay within the bounds of myfitnesspal calories for today - not only because it was skinny but because I didn't feel like eating very much of it. Score!?

p.s. I'd like to say this helped me get pizza out of my system for a while but instead, I may wake up tomorrow craving to set right what today went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment